Film – Week 8 – Screenwriting

Kicking Television

“Kicking Television” by dhammza is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 2.0

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is 1247194112_e824f95333.jpg

“Ali film script” by Zadi Diaz is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 2.0

“You can’t fix a bad script after you start shooting. The problems on the page only get bigger as they move to the big screen.” – Howard Hawks

SUMMARY

This week I learned some film history from Sneak on the Lot, basics of story telling from Every Story is the Same, and had some fun thinking about stories.

PRACTICE ROOM (TUTORIALS)

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is Celtx.png

CLASSROOM (THEORY & ANALYSIS)

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is Intro-to-Film.png
Image from sneakonthelot.com/my-courses/

Today on Sneak On The Lot, I learned about the basics of filmmaking. I was able to learn some history and fun facts as well as important information I will need for making films.

LAB (THEORY PRACTICED

Things that create tension for me:

• When I’m in class and my internet flickers or goes out
  • If I’m about to go to the post office and someone places an order
  • When I have a ton of homework and my teachers keep assigning more
  • My room is super cold during the day but will feel like it’s 100 degrees at 3am
  • When my sister bakes desserts full of sugar and I know if I eat them I will feel sick because I’m sucrose intolerant, but they always taste so good
  • Feeling super tired in the day and then not being able to fall asleep at night
  • Practicing for the SAT and continuing to miss the same questions continuously for months
  • Caring about school and then having random people tell me I’m a try hard and that doing homework isn’t important
  • Taking showers when someone starts doing the dishes or laundry causing the water to go cold

OUTSIDE (CREATIVITY & THE BRAIN)

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is Walking.png
  • Two siblings fighting over who gets to sit in the front seat of the car
  • A character is working on their online school work and someone keeps turning the internet off causing the first character to have to restart their work
  • Driving anywhere in Olympia at night and seeing a deer on the side of the road and having the fear of it jumping out in front of you
  • A character has been super excited to eat their leftover food from a restaurant but they walk to the kitchen and another character is already eating it
  • One character goes online shopping and their mail keeps getting stolen so they fill a box up with a prank and leave it out for the robber to steal.

STUDIO (FILMING)

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is Stories.png

I really enjoyed watching Every Story Is The Same because it pieced together what actually is used to give stories an entertaining point. I never realized that the circle may apply to characters as well as the plot.

WHAT I LEARNED and PROBLEMS I SOLVED

Today I learned the circle from Every Story is the Same can apply to characters as well as the story line. I have always found hero’s journey to be interesting and this was a very similar idea. I really enjoyed knowing that now when I write stories, I will be able to apply the 8 steps and have a much better story than I normally write. Today I solved the problem of really understanding time management. I used to sit down and spend hours doing assignments that could have taken a lot less time. I have started setting timers to do all my class work and I am really starting to be more efficient and more relaxed.